View a time line of The Fine Arts Buildings history.
In 1885, The Fine Arts Building opened as a carriage assembly and showroom for the Studebaker Company.
By the 1890’s, The Studebaker Company had outgrown the building, and by 1898, renovations were lead by Charles C. Curtiss, which the 10th floor Curtiss Hall is named after.
The Fine Arts Building was originally 8 stories high, during renovations in 1898, the top floor was remodeled and two floors were added. During this time many of the murals and motifs were added to the top floors. The studios were adapted to artist studios, musicians studios, galleries, offices, shops and theaters.
Early 20th Century
Center of Artist and Civic Activity
The Fine Arts Building housed music schools, arts and literary clubs and women’s suffrage organizations. Occupants of the building had national and international impact on the arts and society as a whole.
Studebaker Theater Redesigned
Architect Andrew Rebori designed the first floor of the Studebaker Theater in 1917. Rebori is also the architect behind the Madonna Della Strada Chapel on Loyola University’s Lake Shore Campus.